Monday, December 7, 2015

Christmas A to Z Letter I

Welcome Back to Christmas A to Z
I …is for In the Bleak Midwinter, Immanuel
In the Bleak Midwinter
In the Bleak Midwinter is a beautiful song.The first time I heard it was during a wonderful Julie Andrews Christmas Special. She along with John Denver and Placido Domingo went to Saltzburg, to visit the sights of The Sound of Music. Julie sang this song beautifully!
hqdefault
In the Bleak Midwinterwritten by Christina Rossetti
In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter, long ago.
Our God, Heaven cannot hold Him, nor earth sustain;
Heaven and earth shall flee away when He comes to reign.
In the bleak midwinter a stable place sufficed
The Lord God Almighty, Jesus Christ.
Enough for Him, whom cherubim, worship night and day,
Breastful of milk, and a mangerful of hay;
Enough for Him, whom angels fall before,
The ox and ass and camel which adore.
Angels and archangels may have gathered there,
Cherubim and seraphim thronged the air;
But His mother only, in her maiden bliss,
Worshipped the beloved with a kiss.
What can I give Him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
Yet what I can I give Him: give my heart.
rosetti_c
Immanuel
Baby Jesus and Lambs
Jesus is known by many names, one of which is Immanuel (Emmanuel). The Gospel of Matthew cites the prophecy of the sign of Immanuel from Isaiah…”The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel' which means, “God with us”.
"For a Child will be born to us, a Son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6
Jesus came to earth as a babe in the stable. We would not have a reason to celebrate, if it were not for His birth.
untous
Jesus is the Reason for the Season
I hope you will join me again tomorrow for more of the Christmas Celebration
Carolyn and the Bears

No comments: