Sunday, November 29, 2015

Christmas A to Z letter A

Hello all. This year I want to take you through Christmas A to Z! Each day from now through Christmas Eve, I would like to share traditions, decorations and meanings of Christmas. I hope you will join me for some Christmas Season inspiration.
Today the letter, of course, is
clip_image001
This letter stands for Advent, Angels and “Away in a Manger”
clip_image003
Advent
Advent Sunday usually begins on the fourth Sunday before Christmas. The keeping of an Advent calendar is a popular tradition which usually begins on December 1.
Celebrating Advent in church is a tradition where a candle lit each week. There are five candles in all; each candle represented prophesy of the coming of the Jesus the Savior. The fifth candle was the Christ candle which was lit on Christmas Day.
Our Advent calendar as a child was a poster with little windows that are opened each day to reveal a fun Christmas photograph.
clip_image005
Angels
We always placed an Angel at the top of our tree to bring “Good News of Great Joy”. I always liked the lace and beaded ones. Ours were always handmade similar to the one below.
clip_image006
Away in a Manger
The song, Away in a Manger was originally published in 1885 and the author of the first two stanzas is unknown. The third stanza was penned by John T. McFarland. The music to the song was composed by William J. Kirkpatrick in 1885. There are actually two melodies to the song.
clip_image007
Away in a manger, no crib for a bed,
The little Lord Jesus laid down His sweet head.
The stars in the sky looked down where He lay,
The little Lord Jesus, asleep on the hay.
The cattle are lowing, the Baby awakes,
But little Lord Jesus, no crying He makes;
I love Thee, Lord Jesus, look down from the sky
And stay by my cradle till morning is nigh.
Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask Thee to stay
Close by me forever, and love me, I pray;
Bless all the dear children in Thy tender care,
And fit us for Heaven to live with Thee there
I hope you will join me again tomorrow for more of the Christmas Celebration.
Carolyn and the Bears











No comments: